Thursday, June 30, 2011

Zangers and Porto!

Francis and Virginia
Wednesday, I headed to Porto.  This is where the Zangers-Virginia and Francis live.  Virginia, whom I had never met before, came into my life via an angel (or one of my students) Raphael.  I happened to notice his t-shirt and one thing led to another and I found out that his grandparents (Virginia and Francis) lived currently in Vila Nova de Gaia.  This is the city next to Porto.  I started emailing Virginia about what various details when I was planning my trip and a friendship bloomed!  It turned out that Francis-Virginia's husband is an Anglican priest and that they knew quite a lot about the Camino de Santiago having visited there several months prior. 

They say that in life there are no coincidences-people that you need are put into your path and I believe that Virginia is one of those people I have been searching for.  She is so amazingly kind-she invited a perfect stranger into her home and has for the past two days given me such sweet companionship as she showed me Porto and helped me prepare for the Camino.  I have been thoroughly spoiled by both Francis and Virginia.  It turned out that I had forgotten a few things and everytime I turned around, Francis would pull out of his"magic first aid kit" all the the things such as a little penknife, rope, a thin book for me to read on the road, etc...their generosity astounds me. 

On top of that-I was treated by them to one of my most magical dinners ever.  It was in a 14th century building overlooking the Douro River in Porto.  From our table-we watched the square and the river as dusk turned to night with superb food, fado music drifting from downstairs and even better company.  It is hard to put into words the happiness of the moment.  A joy felt deep into the heart! 

On Thursday, Virginia took me to do a few errands- where I get my credentials as an official Pilgrim.  'We went to Porto and came at a perfect time as  mass was just starting in the Cathedral.  We were able to join it and have communion together.  Another wonderful omen!  I bought my passport
 and we went in search of a shell ato put on my backpack-one of the symbols of the Camino in the heart of Porto. 

The day went by extremely fast-I really thought I would have more time but that was not the case.  Francis, who suffers greatly from a degenerative disc was in tremendous pain and was not able to join us for dinner- a Brazilian restaurant that is one of his favorites.  He valiantly tried but it was apparent that he had really exerted himself the night before. Food in Portugal is beyond superb.  I have yet to have a bad meal!!!  And my newest addiction Vinho Verde-I don't know if I can leave here because it is quite the most refreshing wine and just the right combination during these hot summer days.   I am so glad that I don't have to say good bye to both the Zangers...they have offered to keep house my few things that I really don't feel like is necessary taking on the Camino. I get to come back to this wonderful haven after my walk and get to share it with them! They have spoiled me rotten and honestly-I have enjoyed it:)!!!

I will be starting the Camino in a few hours and am not sure if I will be able to always blog as my computer will not be one of the items coming with me.  I ask that you keep me in your thoughts-my first part should be fairly easy and hopefully I won't get lost.  I heard that they are hills on this route-but will not encounter it for a few days.  Thank you Michelle and Julie for training with me!  Here we go-Bom Caminho...Blessings to all and Peace:)  

Avo Maria in Porto
Porto-the front part of the restaurant overlooking the Douro River

St John the Baptist Statue
Douro River


14th century building


Cathedral

Pilgrim's Passport

My shell

Famous Portuguese Pastries-quite the best thing in the world!

The first Arrow- Bom Caminho!  

1 comment:

  1. maleka God be with your on your journey the camino is something i have always thought would be quite the experience can't wait to hear more maureen koth

    ReplyDelete